The Weekend Chef's Avocado Toast Recipe
Ah, the weekend. It’s not quite here yet, but we’re already thinking about it and what we’re going to eat. One of the best things about weekends is eating fun foods you wouldn’t normally eat during the week. So, it’s time to make a favorite brunch dish that’s super simple and goes great with our Vodka Grapefruit Honey cocktail. Let's get to it!
- 4 slices from a loaf of crusty bread
- 2 eggs
- One ripe tomato
- 2 medium-sized avocados
- Salt (to taste)
- Red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1/2 lime or 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Ground black pepper (to taste)
Servings: 4 (or 2 depending on how much you like avocados)
Time: 15 min
What to do:
- First, start with a loaf of good, crusty bread. We like Macrina Bakery’s Casera loaf for this. If you’re not in the Seattle area, visit your local shop for a hearty, thick, crusty bread which will hold up to your toppings. Cut four ¼ inch thick slices and set aside. Bread tip: Day old bread makes great toast.
- Boil the eggs, peel the shells and cut into thin slices. Set aside. You can prepare your eggs however you like (scrambled, poached or over easy), but we want to keep things simple so we’re going the humble hardboiled route. Egg tip: In case boiling an egg has you stopped in your tracks, here’s a refresher.
- Cut your tomato into thin slices. Knife tip: Your serrated bread knife doubles nicely as a tomato knife and will keep the slices intact.
- Cut your avocados in half, length wise. Remove the pit. Using a spoon, scoop out the avocado into a bowl. Knife tip: A chef knife works particularly well here. Push the bottom of your knife blade into the pit and gently rotate to remove it. Pop the pit off your knife with the thumb of the hand holding the knife.
- Sprinkle some salt and red pepper flakes on the avocado. Add however much makes your taste buds happy. Then, add lime juice and mix it up.
- Pop your bread slices into the toaster. Then brush olive oil on those bad boys. Bread tip: You know how to toast bread. But in case you’re overachieving on the weekend, here’s how to make the perfect toast.
- Now you’re ready to start layering on the goodness. Smear that delicious avocado mix onto your toast. Place a couple of slices of egg and tomatoes on each piece. Finish with a sprinkle of salt and a good grind of black pepper to taste.
Boom you’re done! But maybe you'd like to enjoy your delicious creation with something a little different. This is where bottled cocktails can really shine. You just proved you know your way around a kitchen. But, you don't want the hassle of grabbing a bunch of other ingredients to make a brunch cocktail. (Your avocado toast is warm and calling your name.) Instead, just pair your dish with our tasty Vodka Grapefruit Honey cocktail for a perfectly simple weekend brunch.